Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Moon Sand (A.K.A the toy from Hell)

As promised in this post here is my post dedicated to moon sand. Do you have this at your house?? Have you allowed your children to play with it?

We first received moon sand as a gift. If I could remember who gave it to us I would call them out, but I don't. I carefully tucked it away without even opening the package. Sand?? In the house?? Clearly this was a bad idea. Then one day I gave in and let the kids play with it. Perhaps I was desperate for a few minutes of peace or perhaps I forgot to take my meds. that day. The kids loved it. But then, what's not to love. A small sandbox in your house? Rock on.

I was not in love. I will admit that moon sand is fun to play with. It has a sandy texture but if you squeeze it into a shape it kind of feels like one of those circus peanut candies from long ago. It's a tactile dream.

One summer I decided that the moon sand could live outside. We brought the little play set out and the kids would sit in the driveway and play with it. Any that spilled out was easily washed away when it rained. Slowly the moon sand dwindled until there was no more. I vowed never to buy more myself. Along came little guys third birthday and big guy desperately wanted to get him a moon sand construction set. I let him. I have always let the kids pick out their own presents for each other (with minor direction) and this was no different. They both loved the new set and played with it a lot for a few months. And then, I put it away on a shelf, a high shelf and it was forgotten.

Fast forward a year and moon sand is again in my life. It's EVERYWHERE. Little guy plays with it for hours, really. Unfortunately he plays with the set on my kitchen table. The container it comes in is supposed to keep it contained but it does not. My kitchen table is constantly gritty and the floor looks like a beach in the Carribean. (A girl can dream). Every time I go through a pile of papers there is moon sand. Lick an envelope to mail a bill....moon sand on my tongue. Pick up my fork to eat dinner and it suddenly has a gritty moon sand additive. This stuff is impossible to get rid of. I vacuum, I wash, I sweep and still there is moon sand. I've dubbed it the toy from hell because, well, it is. I do love the hours of enjoyment my kids get out of it but really? Who thought moon sand was a good invention? Moms around the world should unite and find the inventor, I'm sure they do not have kids of their own. Let's make sure to bring our moon sand with us too....we can play with it at their house.

No comments:

Post a Comment