Thursday, March 3, 2011

Barbies

Barbies were one of my favorite toys as a child.  I could play with Barbie, Ken and the whole crew for hours.  My sister Kelly, 4 years older, used to perform the weddings.  At one point she even recorded my Grandmother playing the wedding march on her organ to have for Barbie's big day.  I liked the weddings, they were fine, but I had my own interest when it came to Barbie; babies.  My Barbie was often seen with a pillow or folded up piece of clothing stuffed up her super tight dress.  I'd play out the labor and delivery (with very little knowledge of this) and Barbie and Ken would become the proud parents of Skipper.  They lived in the dream house (complete with elevator) still drove her convertible (just let Skipper sit on the console) and continued to live their charmed life exactly as it was before children.  Barbie had it all, or so I thought.

Fast forward a few years and people began asking what I wanted to be when I grew up.  The answer was simple; a mom.  When pressed for a "real" profession I eventually chose teaching (hey, it still involved kids!).  I never made a conscience decision that I wanted to be a mom it was just part of who I was and I could never imagine a life without children.

I was 26 when my first son was born and I will never forget the day he made me a mommy.  I've been learning ever since that being a mom is a lot more involved than Barbie ever let on.   There's no dream house here (we live in a tiny apt.), our SUV is no convertible corvette and darn it if I don't look as good as Barbie post birth.  The other thing I never could have learned from Barbie is how amazing being a mom really is.  I now have two little guys and they really are my everything.  I know that's one of those corny mom sayings but it's the only way I can describe it.

This blog is going to be about my adventures in mommy land.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  I'll tell you about the dreams and plans I had for being a mom and then I'll tell you about reality.  I'll share my triumphs and be honest about my failures.  I hope you'll come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment