Friday, April 6, 2012

Stories for Another Day

A few weeks ago Sadie and I were sitting with the boys on the couch and we started talking about life when they were babies (I mean, really 5 and 7.5 year olds are SO grown up).  We laughed over a lot of the stories of toddler mischief and new parenting mistakes.  There was only one problem, we didn't have much material for the 5 year old. 

Our first born, A, was a handful.  The journal I kept for him is full of stories of destruction and mayhem.  A used to empty the tupperware cabinet and pots and pans drawer on a regular basis, loved tearing all the diapers out of the cabinet, painted himself with Desitin, fell asleep in a cabinet while playing hide and seek and used to climb his dresser, take the lampshade off the lamp and burn a hole in the plastic covering of the changing pad in the time it would take me to pee.  He kept me on my toes and R should be thankful I ever considered having another child.  That said , A was a cuddler, a momma's boy and made me laugh a lot. 

R was the good baby.  He slept well, napped well, and rarely caused trouble.  Whether it was his nature or the fact that A had trained me well and I knew what to watch for we will never know.  All I know is that R's journal is filled with stories of things like long cuddly naps, favorite toys and my professing my love for him repeatedly.  He was easy.  R was sad there were not as many funny stories about him and I tried to reassure him it was just because he was so good, not because I had forgotten to write them down.  Sure, there was the time he was in the jumparoo and a mysterious brown puddle formed under his feet, and the ball popper that became a pacifier popper but nothing big. 

In the past few days though R has added to his journal.  It started with another mom telling me she heard R say he "goosed" someone on the playground.  I asked him what "goosed" meant and he said "you know, like duck, duck goose. I goosed someone."  That was a good laugh.  Then yesterday my little man unknowingly auditioned to be a Chippendale.  I sent him to bed in his Batman footy pj's and he came out in the AM in boxer briefs and a sparkly green light up bow tie from St. Patrick's Day.  So while his baby/toddlerhood were not the most amusing I do believe he will make up for that and have stories to share another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment