Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Not All Butterflies and Daisies

Being a mom is a wonderful thing.  It's something I knew I always wanted, something I fought hard for, and something I love with all my heart.  That said, being a mom is hard.  It's poop, it's puke, it's people telling you they hate you.  It is defiance, it is struggle, it is facing your fears.  Being a mom means you do anything and everything you never thought you would.

Over the past few years I have had similar discussions with different moms.  We all love our children but sometimes being a mom isn't all it's cracked up to be.  You get tired, you get sick and by the 459,856th time your child asks "why?" your answer may not be one you are proud of.  Someone close to me confessed that she doesn't always like being a mom and sometimes doesn't like her kid.  She loves him tons and always will but there are moments when she doesn't "like" him.  I get it.  I told her it was normal.  Am I professional parent?  No, but the fact is that everyone mom friend I've been close with has confided nearly the exact same thing.  I've decided it's normal but not enough people talk about it.  Why is that?  What other job in the world is there where you are expected to love every minute of it.  I don't know anyone who's caught a puddle of puke in their bare hands and said they loved motherhood right after it.  Am I thankful I have a child even when he is spewing geysers?  Yes.  Am I thankful that sometimes I have to catch it in my hands to avoid a large clean up on the couch?  No. 

My advice?  Well, as stated above, I am not a professional but after nearly 8 years of parenting big guy I have learned a few things.  Moms need breaks.  They need naps, they need to lose themselves in good books, they need friends and they need to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.  I love to leave the kids behind with Dado and head out to window shop.  I crank up the stereo in the car, roll down the windows and rock out like I am a lot younger than I am, it's therapy.  I love to come home just in time for bedtime to get my hugs and kisses, read a story and tuck in some sleepy heads.  I feel like a better mom after a break, even a short one. 

I love my boys but I love me too and that, I have learned, is very important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment